Patriotic

Real Widows

Real Widows
BlogtalkRadio Show

Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Letter to Our Friends (Written the Day Bryant Died)



Dear Friends.
Today has been a very hard day for me. Last night, April 28, Bryant's group was hit by an IED (basically a homemade bomb). I had to say goodbye to Bryant today and it is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. If you know us, then you know that he is my everything and I was his. I can only remind myself of how very blessed I am to have experienced a love so deep and so very complete. It is truly a love that is blessed by God. I am the luckiest person in the world to have shared his life and even after 16 years together, he still takes my breath away.

If you knew Bryant, please remember the laughter and joy. Please do not criticize the war. If we were to pull out then Bryant's death would be for nothing. And you know that Bryant was the type of man that needed to know he was making a difference. He was not a political person, just a regular guy that was proud to do his duty and very proud to wear the uniform. Please celebrate his life with me. It is what he would have wanted...laughter and lots of love.

I am told that I am in shock and denial (1st phase of grief). I can only say that I did not know you could actually feel physical pain when your heart truly breaks. And while I do not at this time know how I will get through this, I simply know that I will because Bryant wants me to and God's love will carry me through. To be honest I do not think I have ever felt closer to God than I do right now, but then I have never needed him more. Please pray for me as a struggle to find my way. It is going to be slow and painful, but I want Bryant to look down from heaven and be proud of me.

Bryant was not the only soldier lost today, so please, in your prayers, remember all of the soldiers, airmen, sailors, marines and civilians that are in Iraq. Also say a prayer for the military families and especially the other family that lost their soldier today. I love you all.

LaNita Herlem. Proud Wife of SSG Bryant A. Herlem


*

No comments:

Post a Comment