Patriotic

Real Widows

Real Widows
BlogtalkRadio Show

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Patriotism...What it means to me.

To most people Patriotism is nothing more than hanging a flag out for Memorial Day, 4th of July or Veterans Day and that is IF they remember to do it in the first place. It is in no way a daily part of their lives. Patriotism is a part time part of their lives. 


For me, Patriotism is more than just a flag flying outside my house on three or four "holidays" of the year. Its more than a magnet on the back of my car that says, "Support Our Troops" or "Freedom Isn't Free". Although wonderful to see on the back of cars, its more about the feelings that magnet invokes in me when I see it that makes me Patriotic and instills Patriotism in myself and my kids. When I see those magnets I wonder if the person really feels that way and does more or if it was just slapped on the back in a moment of temporary patriotism.  Was it placed there when 9/11 happened and has not been moved nor thought about since? Was it placed there when we went to war to show support and again not thought about again, or is it looked at each time the groceries are put in the boot of the car and maybe a finger runs across it with a tear or smile to follow, maybe its straightened up and a feeling of pride well up quietly in their hearts? I hope the latter...


Patriotism is taking the time to say, "Thank You" to a veteran. We see them every day in our lives, bagging groceries, at the gas station, in our malls,  and in our airports. We see these sweet older gentlemen with their hats proudly worn displaying who they served with and in what conflict. They don't wear them to be recognized, they wear them for the pure pride of serving their country. Our patriotism takes hold when without even thinking our pride wells up in our hearts for our veterans and we reach out a hand to shake theirs and say "Thank you for your service to this great nation and securing the freedoms for my children and I." The smiles and tears that fill their eyes is more than I can express in a simple blog, but it creates such a sense of pride and love on both sides. 


Patriotism comes with the need to help by volunteering for some of these groups such as Wounded Warriors, TAPS, SBE, any Veterans groups or the VA. Its about making a difference to those people who have served,  those who have come home broken and wounded and that fight everyday to heal and become whole again. Its about the families who have paid the ultimate price when their hero laid down their lives for you and to those groups who help to make the journey no matter what, easier to travel.


Patriotism comes from more than just the random things that people do on the days that they feel the NEED to do them, its about flying your flag on more than Memorial Day, Veterans Day and July 4th, its about flying that flag proudly every day of the year, about making sure its lit properly at night and by removing it and presenting it for proper disposal to a VFW. Its about taking a baseball cap off during the National Anthem and The Pledge Of Allegiance, its about a hand over a heart or a salute during both. Its about being teary eyed during a fly over, a lump in your throat at the sight of a flag on a house, or one of our many patriotic songs playing on the radio or at a function. Its about a flag at half mast when its appropriate, its about believing in the Constitution and what it stands for. Its about believing in the "American Dream" and what it takes to obtain it. But mostly its about standing up for all these things when they are threatened.


Patriotism is being proud of our great nation! Its about protecting and loving her and what she stands for. Its about not allowing others to tell us we cant fly a flag in our yards, not wear a t-shirt that has a flag on, not let our children draw a flag in school...its about standing up for what is important in our American History. Being patriotic means not allowing the Constitution to be ultered in any way to benefit anyone. Its about not allowing our laws to be broken or challenged by those who have no right in doing so. Its about taking a stand in what you believe in, even if you stand alone.


I personally have had patriotism and what it means to me change a few times in my life. I am not a born citizen I am a naturalized citizen. I took that oath to love, support and defend my country. I believe in what she stands for, what our fore fathers wanted for her and her people. When I became a citizen the sense of pride and patriotism tripled in me. I was so proud to be married to a soldier who served is country with no questions asked. I was so proud to be having a son who would be an American! I was so proud to now be an AMERICAN heart soul and by choice. Again my sense of patriotism changed again when 9/11 happened and I knew what that meant for our country and our military. I found that my pride grew again and filled my heart and soul with so much love for my country. I knew this meant MY husband would go to war and I stood behind that decision not politically but as an Army wife and proud American.  Then in 2006 I lost the love of my life to this war, I lost my love, my future, the father of my kids, one of the greatest men Ive ever had the pleasure of calling my husband and love.  Even through the pain and tears and heartache the love for country and pride that was instilled in me grew once again. I was more patriotic throughout my grieving process. I was more determined to let that shine now as I knew what it meant to   my husband, my hero and now a nations hero. 


Memorial Day is not happy, its a day to reflect on those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for this country.....period, 4th of July is for celebrating this great Nation's birthday with BBQs and fireworks and family by your side, Veterans Day is a time to say "Thank you" to all those who served no matter if they were made to or not, and Armed Forces Day is to honor all those served in all Branches. My flag flies everyday, and when its old and tattered its taken down, folded properly and taken to a VFW to be laid to rest. A new flag is flown in its place as there is never a day that there is not a flag on my home.  I say The Pledge Of Allegiance, I sing the National Anthem, all with my hand over my heart. I wear flags on my ball caps and t-shirts, as do my boys.  I have a flag on my car and there is NO ONE who will tell me that I nor my kids can not do so. I will fight for what we have always be able to do, show my patriotism and love for MY COUNTRY! After all this is a FREE country and therefore Patriotism is also a FREEDOM we rightly deserve. 


Patriotism is not a part time convenience which we should only show at special times of the year. Patriotism is something that should be in your heart and soul that you feel everyday. Something that makes you want to put your hand over your heart, salute, show respect for your country and even get teary eyed over.  Patriotism is a part of or should be a part of our everyday lives a part of who we are.....as much as breathing is.




No comments:

Post a Comment